The Rest Is History is Bunk
Have you ever read a magazine article (or blog for that matter) which you found interesting enough to read past the headline, and come across the words "and the rest, as they say, is history"? And have you ever thought, as I always do when I read that, "but it's a history I don't know, and I thought you were going to tell me!" Elton John started playing tunes on this mother's old upright, and the rest, as they say, is history. Well yes, seeing as how it happened in the past, the events that lead from there to fame and fortune are history, but the story might actually be interesting enough to tell. Or am I to understand by the word "history", "enshrined in the collective consciousness that everyone is perfectly familiar with."
And who is the "they" who say "and the rest is history" - just other journalists too lazy to look up and recount the story? I say commit this phrase to the flames, and to those "they" journalists - please resist future temptations to use it!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home