Mark Hopkins

Hi, I'm Mark Hopkins. Here are some stray thoughts that need a walk. Feel free to feed them.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fourtaying

I have come up with a new form of rhyme that is proving productive - for me anyway! It's my answer to the haiku! I call it the fourtay, and there are four rules:

1. There are four lines in a fourtay
2. Each line has the same meter - akin to the first line of a limerick
3. Each line has the same rhyme
4. The fourtay is about something whose proper name is in the first line

Here is my first foray into fourtay writing, one about my daughter's beloved toy cat Stitches:

There once was a young cat called Stitches
Who had such a strong fear of witches
That he used to go hiding in ditches
Although then he got covered in itches

Or take one of my favorite things, the LHC:

There is a Large Hadron Collider
That has fast balls of protons inside her
That are thrown by the magnets astride her
That sometimes deliver a slider!

We can get silly:

There once was a beautiful Rose
That began one day growing a nose
Now why was that do you suppose?
Well the truth is that nobody knows!

or political:

So Johnny chose one Sarah Palin
Who at answerin' questions is failin'
But she knows about huntin' and whalin'
But VP? not for me, I'm bailin'!

what's your fourtay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home